We are so glad you are visiting with us today! Please fill out a contact card and a $5 donation will be made in your name.
We believe Life Groups are one of the best places to foster significant relationships and growth with each other. They provide a great way to connect with a smaller group of people that are brought together by topics/interests, activities, meals, and fellowship. Life Groups are a safe place to be known, encouraged, celebrated, and challenged. The format and atmosphere of each Life Group will be different depending on the leaders and the people in the group, but they all exist to help people connect with each other and with God.
Events & Sign Up
Check out the upcoming events here! You can also sign up to attend or volunteer.
The Book of Mark: What's In Your Heart?
Tim Hobson, Lead Pastor
Psalm 51:10 Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast (right, faithful, loyal, unwavering, resolute) spirit within me.
Mark 7:14-16 Listen to me, everyone, and understand this. Nothing outside a man can make him ‘unclean’ by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him ‘unclean’.
What you store inside your heart is what comes out. Good Tree = Good Fruit
Matthew 12:33-35 Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit. You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of. A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him.
1. People are recognized by their fruit.
Matthew 7:16 By their fruit you will recognize them.
2. The mouth speaks what the heart is full of.
Proverbs 18:21 The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.
3. The heart is the storage unit that dictates the words that creates the fruit.
Matthew 12:34 For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.
Proverbs 4:23 Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.
Bad News: We can’t trust our hearts.
Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?
Good News: God gives us a new heart.
Ezekiel 36:26-27 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.
God equips us with His Word and His Spirit to heal, enlarge & fill our hearts with His life.
The key is to be intentional about making our hearts good and filling our hearts with the right things: The Holy Spirit and The Word of God
Treasure determines Heart
Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
1. Cleanse your heart from evil.
James 4:7-8 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
2. Replace with God’s Truth (Word).
James 1:21-22 Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you. Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.
3. Fill your heart with the Holy Spirit. Be baptized in the Holy Spirit.
Galatians 5:25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.
4. Guard your heart from evil reentering. Lifestyle of gardening & protecting the heart.
2 Timothy 1:14 Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you—guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us.
1 Corinthians 16:13, 2 Timothy 3:16-17, Hebrews 4:12
Store up God's Word in your heart
God’s Word will save you (James 1:21)
God’s Word will direct you (Psalm 119:105)
God’s Word will give you freedom (Psalm 119:45) God’s Word will give you peace (Isaiah 26:3) God’s Word will make you wise (Psalm 119:98) God’s Word will preserve your life (Psalm 119:93) God’s Word will reveal truth to you (Psalm 119:142)
Psalm 51:10-12 Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of my salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
Hebrews 13:21 (May God)… equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
Life Group Discussion
1. This week’s memory verse is: Psalm 51:10 Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast (right, faithful, loyal, unwavering, resolute) spirit within me. This would be a good daily prayer to pray for God’s help in keeping our hearts right before him.
2. What are you (or can you start) doing intentionally to store up good in your heart?
3. In what ways do you guard your heart? Share specific examples or disciplines with one another.
4. Being in the world, but not of the world is critical to maintaining a pure heart. What does this mean? How do we guard against becoming worldly in our mindset and beliefs?
5. Is there anything in your heart that you need to get rid of? Replace?
6. Are there any specific habits or inputs that you need to change in order to cut off storing up wrong things in your heart? Examples, friends, music, tv programming, books, podcasts, radio…
7. Pray for one another to have a pure heart and to be able to
make changes in order to be more intentional about storing up
the good in our hearts.
Prayer needs will be shared with the pastors, staff and volunteers on the LOGF prayer team.
Giving online is simple and secure. Whether you’d like to give a single gift, or schedule ongoing giving, you can do it all through our Stripe portal.
If you have missed a Sunday, check out the sermon recordings here. You can also request a audio CD by filling out the form below.